Christmas Surprise!

Monday, August 25, 2008

2008 UPOA K9 Trials

This years UPOA K9 trials incluced a helicopter flight in and out of our search area. The searches included a building search and an area search. Jinx did a super job on both. He found the suspect in the building in 1 min. 3 Secconds. In the area search he located the suspect in a large area with several building in 1 min. 11 seconds. That was good enough for 1st place out of 31 other dogs!

Here Jinx gives me his undivided attention while doing his obedience section of the trials. He did a fantasic job during this as well taking 2nd place over all. I love how he looks me in the eye waiting for his next instruction.

During agility Jinx had one fault. When instructed to jump through a barrel laying on its side I waited to long to give him his command. That mistake on my part jammed Jinx causing him to walk under it rather then jump through it. I brought him back and completed it the second time. That cost me a few points resulting if 4th place in that event. Here Jinx is jumping a 4' wall.


This portion of the trial was during the apprehension phase. The decoy appeared from behind a wall with a stick and a pole that had ribbon hanging from it. The decoy approaches aggresively while yelling at the dog. The test is considered a courage test for the dog. Several dogs turned and ran from the bad guy. As you can see Jinx did not! Due to another minor fault in one bite portion (the detain) he took a point deduction that resulted in 5th place finish in apprehension.

Here Jinx is putting the hurt on a decoy that attacks me while Jinx is chasing down another suspect out of the picture. He is expected to stop on command and return and defend me against the attack. He did a perfect job on this portion of the test.


Jinx take out one more bad guy. Here Jinx was required to remain laying down in a small square as I frisked a suspect for weapons. While doing the frisk the decoy attacks me and Jinx is expected to respond on my behalf. Although alittle blurry you can see he is about to put the throttle down on the guy.

After two day of competition against 31 other K9 teams from across Utah I was able to take home 5 Trophies. Including the title of 3rd place Top Dog in the state.
1st Place Area Search
2nd Place Obedience
3rd Place Top Dog
4th Place Agility
5th Place Apprehension
We also took 1st Place Top Agency as a team for the second staight year!







3 comments:

Giles Family said...

Way to go Tony and jink you rock, Love jess

The Brereton Family! said...

good job guys!!!!
love sydney

The Scooby Family said...

Very impressive with your dog! Wish I could have taught my dog to do some things like that!